View Polk County Map
  Find A Record
  Contact Information
  Resource Links
  Master Polk County
  Burial Search
Embree Cemetery ~ John Robert Allgood ~ part of the Polk County Pioneer Cemeteries of Oregon
Print Friendly Version
John Robert Allgood
BORN: 20 Jan 1884 DIED: 4 Jun 1952 BURIED:  (Embree Cemetery)
BIRTH PLACE:  Delavan, Tazewell Co., llinois
DEATH PLACE: Dallas, Pollk Co., Oregon
OSBH DC (Polk County 1952) #7225 - John Robert Allgood, male, occupation printer, married (Julia Allgood), b. 20 Jan 1884, in Delavan, Illinois, d. 4 Jun 1952 (512 Lyle St., Dallas) at the age of 68 years, name of father Robert Allgood, maiden name of mother Rebecca Davis; lived in town 45 years; bur Embree; informant James W. Allgood.
OSBH DC (Polk County 1952) #7225 - John Robert Allgood, male, occupation printer, married (Julia Allgood), b. 20 Jan 1884, in Delavan, Illinois, d. 4 Jun 1952 (512 Lyle St., Dallas) at the age of 68 years, name of father Robert Allgood, maiden name of mother Rebecca Davis; lived in town 45 years; bur Embree; informant James W. Allgood.
J. R. Allgood, 68, Dallas printer and veteran member of the city council, died at his home shortly before 1 o'clock last Wednesday, June 4.  Death resulted from a heart attack, following a stomach upset thought to have resulted from ulcers of the stomach.
Mr. Allgood had gone to his shop as usual Wednesday morning, but was taken home during the middle of the forenoon by his printer, George Curry, after he began to suffer considerable discomfort.  He had been on an ulcer diet for the past six or eight weeks but a checkup a few days previously had indicated he was making a good recovery.  During the earlier part of the week he had been about as usual and had attended a meeting of Marmion lodge, Knighs of Pythias, Tuesday night.  No one had considered that he was in a serious condition, and probably he had not looked on it in that light either.
Mr. Allgood was born in Delavan, Illinois, January 20, 1884, and had learned the printer's trade in Kansas, working on numerous papers there.  Printers were more or less footloose in those days and in 1907 he came to Portland and while there answered an ad of J. C. Hayter, publisher of the Observer, coming to Dallas to accept a job on that paper.  Mr. Hayter sent him to Falls City for a short period to operate a paper which he established coincident with the boom regarding the boom regarding the building of the Salem, Falls City & Western railroad, which was the first artery to tap the timber in that region.  After about a year there he returned to the Observer.
A few years later, Mr. Hayter decided to take a leave of absence and spend a year in the southwest, hoping to find some help for the deafness which was afflicting him.  Mr. Allgood and Dean Collins, then a reporter on the Observer and now an editor on the Oregon Journal, leased the plant for a year.  Mr. Hayter, on his return, decided to retire from publishing, and sold the paper to Foster and Totton.
He was married October 29, 1911, to Miss Emma Dempsey, member of a pioneer Polk county family, who was also employed on the Observer for some time.  She died July 14, 1937, at their home in Dallas.  He married Miss Julia Nunn of Dallas on February 25, 1939.
In 1923 Mr. Allgood decided to go into business for himself and leased quarters in the Dallas City Bank building, built that year by Ralph Williams.  He opened his shop on Dec. 24, 1913, and had operated it continuously since that time. 
He became a member of the Dallas city council in 1918 and had remained on the council continuously since that time.  He accepted appointment to the park board a short time later and had been chairman of the board for over 30 years.  His time of service on the council has marked the period when Dallas made its emergence from the status of asmall town to a bustling city, with miles of paved streets, purchase of the city water system, new city hall, modernization of the fire department, installation of a modern sewer system, and just recently installation of a modern sewage disposal system.  The city park likewise, has seen many improvements, the most notable being the construction of a swimming pool in LaCreole, the addition of several acres by purchase from the Lee Crider estate and construction of oiled thoughfares through the park.  Mr. Allgood was secretary of the Dallas Kiwanis club at the time that organization underwrote the building of the pool as a community project.  He was also a member of the Dallas fire department, and during the recent years especially had spent much of his leisure time with the firemen.  He was an active member of the Chamber of Commerce during all the time he was in business.
His membership in Marmion lodge, Knights of Pythias, dates from April, 1914, and he was regular in attendance during all of that period, going through the chairs and serving as chancellor commander and for many years had been a trustee.
One reason for giving up the free life of a country printer which had first brought him to Dallas, was his love of the outdoors and of hunting and fishing--especially fishing.  He was among the fore rank of Dallas fishermen in the days before it became a universal pastime.  On opening days his flag was always posted in its sidewalk hole, along with that of his brother-in-law and business neighbor, Jack Sibley, while they hit for their favorite fishing ground, which in those days was the LaCreole.  In jaunts further afield he had fished all the adjacent coast streams and many more distant trout waters, but the LaCreole remained his favorite.  His companions were Sibley, Chet Coad, Tom Stockwell, E. A. Wagner, Art Rahn of Salem, among others.  He was also one of the original Twilight league boosters and one of the most faithful fans during the period the league entertained Dallas citizens during the spring and early summer.
Vast changes have come about in the mode of living of the community as well as in its physical structure.  They have been so gradual that is is difficult to put one's finger on them as to time, but during the process much has been lost in the art of fun-making in the everyday life of the citizens.  Jack Allgood came to Dallas in an era when citizens manufactured their own fun, in the day before cars had put so much hustle into the community life that citizens had little time left for fun.  He also joined a community where such fun-makers had long been at work---Ralph Williams, Walter Williams, Dr. R. E. Lee Steiner, Carey Hayter, Chet Coad, Leif Finseth, Boots Kersey, to name a few.  Jack's particular circle soon included Jack Sibley, Ralph Morrison, Tom Stockwell, and later Percy Walton and E. A. Wagner.  The fife and drum corps composed of Sibley, Morrison, Stockwell, and Allgood is of rather uncertain origin at to time and it passed out of existence in the late '20's, but it made an appearance whenever the occasion seemed to demand it, and sometimes to the embarassment of others, but always to the great delight of the community at large.
Funeral services for Mr. Allgood were held Friday afternoon at the Bollman Funeral chapel with Orville Mick, pastor of the First Christian church, officiating.  Most business houses in the community closed, the chapel was full to overflowing and great banks of floral pieces attested the respect of his many friends.  Graveside services at the Embree family cemetery, east of Dallas were conducted by Father Herbert Lazenby of the Episcopal church.
Mr. Allgood is survived by his wife, Julia Nunn Allgood; two sons, John Robert Allgood of Vallejo, California, and Col. James D. Allgood of Dallas; three grandchildren, Alice and James Allgood of Dallas and John Robert Allgood III of Vallejo.  A brother, Walter Allgood resides in Washington, Illinois.
The Polk County Itemizer, Dallas Oregon, ???. 1952.
John R. Allgood
1884 - 1952
(shares marker with Emma)

Branigar Survey
Saucy Survey & Marker Photographs
OSBH DC (Polk County 1952) #7225


Home |  Find a Record |  Directions |  Contact Information |  History |  Sources |  Resource Links |  Polk County Map